I hope you are all well – I am sorry for my longish absence, but although I didn’t have to work last week, there was much to do and I really didn’t get to writing any blog entries.
I have been to the library a lot and I managed to get some studying done for my dissertation – it was demanding, but so worth it! I love doing this and although it is sometimes hard to concentrate for 3-4 hours straight, I am so calm and happy when I have finished summarising another chapter or read another relevant article – one step closer! 😀
So – this is where we left off last WIP-Wednesday, right?
Right – I hadn’t quite finished the back and everything else.
I have to say, knitting went very quickly after I wrote that article.
As you can see, I connected the fronts with the back piece immediately instead of seaming them later – I used the three needle bind-off for the first time, and although I always thought it was terribly difficult, I found out – it isn’t. Really, it is very, very easy, creates a beautiful seam (my gran admired it much!) and probably saved me a lot of time and nerves. 🙂
After that, it was time to pick up stitches for the sleeves:
And that was probably the trickiest part of the whole garment.
You see, according to the pattern, the sleeves are knit bottom up (starting with the moss stitch section) and knit sideways and stitches are increased after a certain number of rows – then you knit even until you reach the desired length. When finishing the sweater, the sleeves are set in. I didn’t want to do that, so I decided to knit top-down and decrease instead of increase the stitches.
So far so good – but my row gauge didn’t fit.
Row gauge is a b*tch. I never get row gauge. Stitch gauge I can manage (sometimes it only takes three or more try-and-error sessions), but row gauge? BLEH. So I did the following:
First, I calculated how many centimetres were between the increases by using the “original” gauge to see how long the separate parts had to be (including the “knit until you reach the desired length” part). Then I took my gauge and calculated how many rows I had to knit to achieve the same length … This only required pen and paper, a calculator and about half an hour of Philipp’s life (because I made him help me – I mean, HE’S the engineer!). After that, it was smooth sailing, really.
You don’t see it very well in the photograph, but after picking up the stitches, I knit the first row through the back loop – I also do that on the gusset of socks and it helps to prevent holes, because the stitches are not stretched too much.
After the sleeves were done, I knit the button bands and the “trim”:
Which was basically knitting across the stitches on the neck and the button bands again (at least that’s what I did – I was told to “knit 86 stitches all around” but couldn’t figure out whether that meant that I was simply to knit around it all or leave out some stitches. I like the result, though.
For buttons, I picked some small white ones, nothing too bright and colourful, but a little bit more elegant:
E voilà. A Welcoming Cardigan.
I love this. I love it so much, and I am so proud that I managed to knit this little cardigan all by myself (with a little help from my friends, of course!), I LOVE that I didn’t have any trouble sewing on the buttons, and now I only have to keep my thumbs pressed that N. will be okay and that her baby will be okay and that N. and her husband will like the cardigan …
I’ll certainly tell you! 😀
The only question now: There is one skein left and I don’t know whether I shall make a pair of booties or whether it was okay to be selfish …. it would be enough to knit a glorious pair of fingerless mittens that have been in my queue for ages …
Wool: ggh Merino sof, 100% Merino (I love it and I want to buy mooore …!)
Size: 6 months
Needles size: 3,5mm and 3,0 mm
Love to you all!!!!